The 2022 rules and mission have been published in Series Resources under the '2022 Ruleset & Rules Resources' folder. Check out the mission below and download your copy of the 2022 rules today! Registration for this event is still open until November 1, 2021 at https://www.sae.org/attend/student-events/aeroconnect-challenge.
Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA) is seeking proposals for an Urban Air Mobility (UAM) solution to provide comfortable, efficient, and rapid “last mile” passenger transportation from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) to destinations throughout the Los Angeles basin. The following are the primary objectives of the new transportation system:
- Safety: Passenger safety is paramount. The transit system must provide enough redundancy such that the passengers feel safe and protected.
- Reliability: The vehiclemust be able to support continuous operation for an “on duty” service period of 3 hours. During the on-duty period, the vehicle shall be assumed to be airborne unless on-ground for 10 minute charging/loading/unloading operations.
- Autonomy: The vehicle shall be designed for fully autonomous operation. A staffed ground-based dispatch center will remotely oversee operation and will provide routing.
- Throughput: The vehicle shall be capable of transporting at least 4 persons weighing up to 250 pounds each, with 50 pounds of luggage each.
- Technology: The vehicle must include the latest autonoumous transport technologies, including collision avoidance.
For additional requirements for this year's mission and full rules, please download your copy of the rules today!